Commandant’s Residence

Benicia, CA
Commercial

Originally constructed in 1860 and designed in the Greek Revival style, the Commandant’s Residence at the Benicia Arsenal served as the home and office of the Benicia Arsenal’s commanding officer. In subsequent years, the building was used as a restaurant and then sat vacant for nearly 20 years. Carey & Co. first assisted the City of Benicia in obtaining a grant to partially fund the restoration of the building. Under this grant, the firm prepared construction documents and provided construction administration services for the rehabilitation of the core and shell. Additional portions of work included envelope restoration (stucco repair, window repair and a new roof), a seismic upgrade, accessibility upgrades including a new elevator and toilet rooms, sprinklers, and new mechanical and electrical systems.

  • photo:David Wakely

    photo:David Wakely

  • photo:David Wakely

    photo:David Wakely