Sunol Temple

Sunol, CA
Domes | Park Structures

The Sunol Water Temple was created as a sculptural outdoor pavilion to mark the convergence of three water sources which flow into the Sunol Valley: the Alameda Creek, the de la Laguna Creek, and the Pleasanton Well. Designed by Willis Polk, who considered it his masterpiece, it was built in 1910 by the Spring Valley Water Company.  Sited dramatically at the end of a long drive across a flat field backed by trees and low hills, the design is patterned after a classical temple celebrating the goddess Artemis. After the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, the temple was closed to the public. At that time, the roof structure, with its delicate murals, was removed and stored. The rehabilitation  included conservation of murals, and repair of the damaged wood roof, concrete, tile finishes, architectural terra cotta and metal roof elements. Center core drilling created seismic stability and a ramp provided full accessibility.

  • photo: David Wakely

    photo: David Wakely

  • photo: David Wakely

    photo: David Wakely